Monday, August 10, 2015

Chicken Sausage Gyros


We love to get gyros at fairs and Lebanese restaurants, and I've long had this recipe in my "binder of things to try." When I recently picked up a package of chicken sausages, I knew I would use them to finally try these. (I'm a little late to the chicken sausage party, I know, but I'm about to catch up - I loved them so much I bought a HUGE package at Costco today!) These have the great flavor of traditional gyros without the need to have a huge piece of meat on a turning skewer in your kitchen. (Ha! could you imagine?)

We enjoyed these on Naan (Indian flatbread, great options at both Aldi and Costco) but pitas would be great too. I added a few ingredients to the sauce from the original recipe, and also threw in some spring mix to increase the veggie content. We ate these twice in three days, and they will now become a regular in our rotation. They're a fun change of pace and I hope you'll try them, too!


Find more great recipes at Inspiration Monday, Inspire Me, Mix it Up, Foodie Friday, What's Cooking, Showcase Your Talent, Full Plate, Foodie Friday, Friday Flash.


Chicken Sausage Gyros

1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked chicken sausage links (Mild Italian or flavor or your choice)
1 cup sour cream (I use low fat)
1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber
1-1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dill
4 pita breads or Naan
1 plum tomato, sliced
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups spring mix or baby lettuce

In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until heated through.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cucumber, vinegar, oil, garlic powder and dill. Serve chicken sausage on pita breads with lettuce, tomato, onion and cucumber sauce. Yield: 4 servings.

Recipe Source: Adapted from Taste of Home

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara,
    What a great Gyro, this looks awesome! Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.