Monday, March 16, 2015

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples


I roast brussels sprouts a lot at my house. A LOT. And they're wonderful. But when I saw this recipe on Melissa's blog, I knew it would be the recipe I would have to try for this month's Secret Recipe Club. Melissa adds apples to the already wonderful roasted sprouts, which takes them over the top. The sweetness and softness of the roasted apple pairs perfectly with the savory, chewy brussels sprouts. I used braeburn apples for this, since that's what I had on hand, but there are probably many varieties that would be delicious. In fact, next time I'll try them with honeycrisp, THE Minnesota apple, and then I can be more of a locavore like Melissa!


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples

1 pound brussels sprouts, halved
2 medium apples, cored and coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Combine chopped sprouts and apple in a medium bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, then stir well to coat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sugar, and stir well again to coat all pieces. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast at 400 for 25 minutes or until sprouts are nicely browned. Serves 4.




4 comments:

  1. OOH! Pairing Brussels sprouts with apple sounds fantastic!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought I liked Brussels sprouts until the first time I tried the roasted - YUM. Love the idea of adding apple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law loves Brussels sprouts and is always looking for new recipes. I'm going to send her this link - this is right up her alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad would love this. He loves brussels sprouts.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.