Monday, July 23, 2012

Double Chocolate Caramel Brownies


It's Reveal Day again! Mondays are usually a drag, but not on Secret Recipe Club Reveal Day!! This month I was assigned to Julie's Eats and Treats, and it was so fun to learn that Julie and I are practically neighbors - well, at least that we share the same great state. Too fun.

I have had an appreciation for these delicious (dangerously so) brownies since high school, when a friend of my mom's made them for the first time. I have always enjoyed eating them but (gasp) I had never made them. So, when I saw them on Julie's blog, I knew the time had come.

I shared these with my colleagues, who couldn't get enough of them. They're that good. Get yourself some caramels and make these today!

Start by melting the caramels. Place the unwrapped caramels (this is the most time consuming part - unwrapping the caramels!) in a medium saucepan and add 1/3 cup of evaporated milk.



Cook over medium-low heat, stirring really often, until the caramels are nice and melted.


Set that aside. For the brownie base, add the melted butter


and remaining evaporated milk to the cake mix in a large mixing bowl. 


Spread half of this batter into a greased cake pan.


Bake for 6 minutes, then remove from the oven and sprinkle with the chocolate chips.



Top with the caramel mixture.


Dollop the remaining cake batter over the caramel. You can spread it out a little as I did here, or you can just leave it dolloped.


Bake for about 15 minutes. You don't want to overbake them - they'll look fluffy and loose but that's ok - the bars will set up as they cool.


Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Don't cut them until they cool - and in my opinion, they're best straight from the fridge - or even the freezer if you're not concerned about expensive dental work (ahem).


Thanks, Julie, for the inspiration!


One year ago: Strawberry White Chocolate Ice Cream
Two years ago: Rhubarb Berry Cheesecake Pie
Three years ago: Strawberry Banana Trifle

Get more great ideas at Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday at the Table, Tasty Tuesday (#2), Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesday (#3), Crazy Sweet Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show.

Double Chocolate Caramel Brownies

2/3 cup evaporated milk, divided
1 - 14 oz. package caramels
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 box German Chocolate or Devil's Food cake Mix
1 cup chocolate chips

Over low heat, melt caramels with 1/3 cup evaporated milk in a medium saucepan.

Mix cake mix, melted butter and remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Spread half of the cake mixture on the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the batter. Pour the caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Dollop the remaining cake mixture in small spoonfuls over the caramel. Bake for another 15-18 minutes, but do not overbake - the brownies will be puffy and seem un-done, but do not let them cook longer.

Remove and cool on a wire rack. For best results, refrigerate before serving. Leftovers should be refrigerated.


12 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed them! Did you know they make caramel chips now that you just use and don't have to unwrap? I hate unwrapping those suckers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm...totally irresistible! I would have picked these, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat this entire pan! They look wonderful!!! Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These look amazing! I love caramel and chocolate together. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son wants brownies everyday! Great recipe choice!
    Here is my SRC:
    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2012/07/brownie-trifle-secret-recipe-club.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate and Caramel in a brownie = Genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are amazing! These look incredible and probably will be the next batch of brownies that I make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look incredible! They are now on my "must make" list! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol your comment about expensive dental work made me laugh! What an awesome looking recipe - I love how simple and decadent those look. Can't wait to give them a try. Great to be in group C with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.