Monday, October 31, 2011

Thanksgiving Series: Winter Squash and Apple Soup



Today starts a series of recipe repeats focused on Thanksgiving. You can find plenty of great turkey recipes elsewhere, so I'm sticking with my favorite side dishes, accompaniments and desserts.

Thanksgiving is, of course, a time to stick with the traditional dishes your family loves, but sometimes there's room to change it up ever so slightly and add something that might become a tradition in years to come! This soup is just that. I made this many years ago when I hosted my first Thanksgiving. It has become a requested first or even main course, and not just at Thanksgiving. It's a wonderful soup, whenever you choose to make it!

This is a recipe repeat. For a full step by step, visit the original post. (If you've never dealt with butternut squash, it might be helpful to see the step by step.)

One year ago: Fish with Boursin Cheese and Tomato Sauce
Two years ago: Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin

Find more inspiration at Mangia Mondays, Mouthwatering Mondays, Meatless Mondays, My Recipe, Your Kitchen, My Meatless Mondays, Midnight Maniac's Meatless Mondays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday at the Table, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, A Little Birdie Told Me, Tasty Tuesday (#2), Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Made from Scratch Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday at Beauty and Bedlam, Let's Do Brunch, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, Crockpot Wednesday, What's on your plate?, Real Food Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Made it on Monday, What's Cooking Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked.

Winter Squash and Apple Soup

2 medium Golden Delicious apples
2 medium butternut squash (about 1 3/4 lbs. each)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 can vegetable broth (or chicken)
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup half and half

Peel, quarter, and core each apple; cut into chunks. Cut squash, remove seeds and peel, and cut into 3/4 inch chunks. In a large Dutch Oven, heat oil over medium heat; add onion and cook until tender.

Stir in apples, squash, broth, thyme, salt, pepper and water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring frequently, 20 to 25 minutes, until squash is tender.

Use an immersion blender to puree soup. Alternatively, spoon 1/3 of soup into regular blender and blend at low speed until very smooth. Repeat with all the soup. Return the pureed mixture to the pan.

Stir in half and half, and heat through over medium heat, stirring ocassionally (do not boil). Serves 8.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I would love to make it for dinner this month. Do you think it would taste all right without the half & half? I'm asking because my husband is lactose intolerant & I don't know how to make half & half from almond milk yet! :)

    Thank you & have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather - I think you will need some sort of "milky" product at the end to help lend some creaminess. Maybe start with 1/2 cup of almond milk and that would probably do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Thank you very much, Sara ~ adding it to my menu plan now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sara.

    Stopping by for the first time. I haven't made squash soup since last year and your recipe looks delicious. I posted a squash recipe too. So perfect for this time of year.

    I have enjoyed perusing many of your posts ~ Lovey place you have here!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so yummy! Fantastic blog with lovely recipe.
    Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love butternut squash and I have a one sitting on my counter. I'll probably get another one this week in my csa box.

    I'm going to include this post in a soup round up that I am doing on Thursday 11/3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a butternut soup recipe we would enjoy because it is not sweet. Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so yummy. I cannot wait to try this recipe. Come visit. We have terrific cranberry wontons today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your fabulous recipe on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17!

    I can't wait to see what you have in store this week!

    Cheers!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.