Thursday, September 9, 2010

Chicken Alfredo Pizza



I love coming up with new ways to use ingredients while satisfying a specific craving - or for that matter, just being able to use things up - I hate having to throw away food. Plus, I love feeling creative and realizing that I have enough experience cooking that I can just whip something up, even if it is based loosely on other things I've made - that's what experience is for!

This idea for pizza hatched because I was craving pizza - not necessarily red sauce but melty cheese on bread. I had broccoli and chicken that needed to be used up, so I decided to try my hand at an alfredo-style pizza. It turned out great!

I used pizza dough from my neighborhood Italian grocery store (it's 3/$1 so I can't beat it!) but you could make your own or use a Boboli or something similar. The toppings here will make a good sized large pizza (it filled up my pizza stone).

For the sauce, melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then add the minced garlic



and cook a stir until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the flour and whisk until combined and bubbly.



Then gradually add the milk,



stirring constantly, until the sauce boils and thickens.



Remove from the heat and add the parmesan cheese



and Italian seasoning.



Spread the sauce over the prepared crust.



For the toppings, saute the broccoli in olive oil until just tender crisp, about 4 minutes.



Top the sauce with the broccoli.



Next, saute the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil for 2 minutes,



then add the red pepper, and the chicken.



Heat just until warm, about 2 minutes. Layer the chicken/mushroom mixture on top of the broccoli



then cover the pizza with cheese.



Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly and golden.



What a great way to use up leftovers!

Get more ideas at Foodie Friday, Food on Fridays and Friday Food.

Chicken Alfredo Pizza

1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
3 tsp. olive oil, divided
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup cooked, chopped chicken
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 pizza crust

In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add flour and stir until bubbly; gradually add milk, stirring and cooking until boiling and thickened. Remove from heat; add parmesan and seasoning. Spread sauce over prepared crust.

Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add broccoli and stir fry until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Top sauce with broccoli. Add remaining oil to skillet and saute mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and chicken; stir and heat til warmed through, about 2 minutes. Layer chicken/mushroom mixture over broccoli. Cover pizza with cheese.

Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly.

3 comments:

  1. That looks so great! Tomorrow is pizza night at our house so I might make that one for me and the hubs and pepperoni for the kids. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you include broccoli! Sneak it in there for my kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing... great photos! Made me wanna have pizza for breakfast!

    Really Rainey

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.