Thursday, May 20, 2010

Easy Crab Cakes



Crab cakes (pictured here with sweet potato fries) are one of my favorite foods of all time. Whenever I'm in a seaside town, I always order them. This recipe is not the typical lump crab cake you'd get at a fancy restaurant. It uses canned crab which makes it easy to throw together on a week night, and these cakes would be delicious used in a sandwich. And they're SO easy, hence their name. I like crab cakes so much, I will probably find other recipes to try as well, but I'm quite pleased with how these turned out!

Start by combining 1/3 cup of the bread crumbs (I made homemade by toasting regular sandwich bread and pulsing it in my food processor, then adding a bit of Italian seasoning), red pepper



green onion,



mayo and lemon juice,



garlic powder, cayenne and the lightly beaten egg.



Mix it all up good, then add the crab.



Now make the mixture into balls - you'll get about 8 or 9 2-inch balls.



Roll them in the remaining bread crumbs,



then slightly flatten to make into cakes.



In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat until it starts "popping." Carefully add the crab cakes to the pan



and cook them for about 3 minutes or until brown. Carefully turn them over,



and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.



Now I need a good recipe for remoulade sauce!

Get more inspiration at the Krazy Kitchen, Friday Food, Food on Fridays and Foodie Fridays.


Easy Crab Cakes

2 cans (6 oz. each) crabmeat, drained and flaked
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil

In a medium bowl, combine the crabmeat, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, egg, onion, red pepper, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stir well to combine. Divide the mixture into 8 2-inch balls, and roll in remaining bread crumbs. Flatten slightly to create cakes of 1/2" thickness.

Melt butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Fry the crab cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.

Serves 3-4

3 comments:

  1. Looking for the perfect sauce for this crab cake recipe.

    Crabanero, "the original Bay seasoned habanero sauce."

    www.crabanero.com

    CRAB-ON

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost ordered crab cakes the other day at a restaurant, but I was discouraged by my mom. Maybe she knew something about that restaurant's seafood offerings? Anyway, from that moment I've been craving crab cakes, so I'm very eager to try your recipe. Thanks for linking it and explaining it so carefully. It'll be my first attempt at crab cakes, so I'll come back to this to walk through each step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I've been craving good crab cakes ever since my husband splurged on some authentic ones at Sam's club. Yours look great--they remind me a little of the recipe I like for salmon patties.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.