Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Orange Rice Medley


This is a colorful side dish with an interesting flavor, mixing sweet and savory (think Sweet and Sour pork…). I thought it went especially well with Teriyaki Chicken.

Chop the vegetables first. I had some leftover orange pepper, so I used that in addition to the green and red.



Saute the vegetables in a little olive oil until they are tender. Then add the rice.



Stir until the rice is lightly browned. Then add the chicken broth, orange juice, salt and pepper.



Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan, and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.

Finally, stir in the oranges.



Get more recipes at What's Cooking Wednesday.

Orange Rice Medley

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
2 tsp. olive oil
1 cup long grain rice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1-11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained and coarsely chopped

In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onions and peppers in olive oil until tender. Add rice; stir until lightly browned. Add broth, juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in oranges.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being the 5000th blog! I look forward to reading your cooking recipies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW this looks good!! My family loves rice dishes so I know they will love this!!! Love the addition of citrus! YUM!!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being the 5000th blog. Superb collection of recipes. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My congratulations for being number 5000. I'll take a look at your blog to see what's cooking on this side of the world.
    Kisses from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara...
    Congratulations for being conferred the 5000th blog by Foodie Blogroll. If you love Asian Chinese recipes, do visit my simple blog @ http://homecook-passion.blogspot..cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sara, Congrats!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always looking for good rice recipes so thanks. Congrats on the lucky number and prize. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on being the 5000th blog! this recipe looks delicious! i love using fruit when I cook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sara, I love your step-by-step photos! Do you have an "assistant" or are you cooking with one hand and snapping with the other? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kate - thanks for the compliment. No, I take all the photos myself, you should see the flour on my camera! :) I cook with one hand and snap with the other - that accounts for some of the pictures on here being a bit out of focus!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.