Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Chicken Fajitas


I love fajitas. I was so excited when I found this marinade for the chicken that is absolutely delicious, has a little kick, and uses ingredients that I always have on hand!

Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.



Then spread over chicken to coat completely. I did this in a tupperware dish since I was short on time (I was actually grilling the chicken within MINUTES of marinating it - not recommended!), but I think it would work best to use a plastic bag so the marinade coats both sides of the chicken. Let the chicken marinate for at least a couple hours, in the refrigerator.



These fajitas can be made on the grill, or using a pan on the stove if it's not grilling weather. In this case we were grilling.

The next step is to slice up the peppers and onions. I used red, green and orange peppers this time - but any color combination works. I placed these in a grill basket for grilling.



If you don't have a basket or wok for grilling vegetables, you can put the peppers and onions in a foil packet. Simply use a doubled-up piece of foil, place vegetables in the middle, and bring the corners together to seal. You can place this directly on the grill. The vegetables won't get grill marks but they will get hot and softened. Another options is to place halved peppers and onions directly on the grill grates, and then slice them after grilling.

Place the chicken on the grill over medium heat and cook for 6-8 minutes per side until juices run clear. Grill the vegetables until they are tender, 10-15 minutes.

Slice up the chicken and place in a serving dish.



Put the vegetables in a separate dish.



Warm the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds for a stack of 6-8. Serve with cheese, salsa, sour cream, or your favorite fajita fixings!

Get more healthy and good food ideas at Healthy Helpings and Overwhelmed with Joy's Favorite Ingredient Friday, healthy eating edition!

Chicken Fajitas

Marinade:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. lime juice

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast
3-4 bell peppers, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
Flour tortillas
Shredded Mexican cheese
Sour Cream
Salsa

Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; add marinade and toss to coat well. Refrigerate for at least three hours.

Prepare grill for grilling over medium heat.

Place peppers and onions in a grill basket or foil packet. Grill chicken for 6-8 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Grill vegetables for 10-15 minutes until tender.

Warm tortillas in microwave for 30 seconds. Serve sliced chicken and vegetables with tortillas, cheese, salsa and sour cream.

3 comments:

  1. GREAT!!! chicken fajitas. We eat these often my recipe is a little different. I'll need to try your recipe for my family next time. THANKS!!! for sharing. I just posted a recipe for red chile, come by and check it out @ http://heartnsoulcooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fajitas and so do the kids. I hope you'll swing by my recipe exchange too. I shared a yummy baked flounder recipe and love collecting other inspired ideas:

    http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-feasts-baked-flounder.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! These fajitas look delicious! I love the pictures you shared with your recipe. And I keep meaning to look for a grilling basket to use at home. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.